PUBLIC NOTICE – JANUARY 9, 2017 – Effective immediately – The American Academy of Biblical Counselors announces that it will be transferring members to the International Association of Biblical Counselors. For complete details click HERE or the NEWS link above.
THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF BIBLICAL COUNSELORS is an accountability, advocacy, certification, and training association committed to the sufficiency of Scripture as a counseling model. As such, AABC promotes excellence in nouthetic (Biblical) counseling. The Biblical Koine Greek word nouthesia is used primarily for the type of counseling described in the New Testament, and reflects the usual counseling methodology found throughout the Bible. AABC accepts the Bible as the only infallible source of truth and guidance by which anyone may be directed toward the highest, and most ennobling life possible. We believe God’s Way is found in God’s Word ~ Dei Via, Dei Verbum.
Founded in July of 2013, AABC is an organization established by Biblical counselors for the advancement and advocacy of Biblical counseling. The founding leadership of AABC recognizes the importance and value of other groups dedicated to the promotion of Bibilcal counseling. While desiring to work with like-minded entities for the strengthening of the nouthetic model, the goal of AABC is to centralize and preserve the unique focus of Biblical counseling advancement and certification.
Being fully aware of the changing realities of human culture, we ardently affirm that God has established specific requisites by which both the individual in particular and society as a whole, may attain to the fullness of life, both now and in eternity. We equally affirm that the certainty of such timeless truths transcend cultural varieties. Thus we believe that “The sum of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting” (Psalm 119:160 NASB).
Statement of Biblical Doctrine:
- The Divine inspiration of the Canonical Books of the Old and New Testaments as originally given, and preserved throughout the ages as the only infallible, inerrant and sufficient source of theology and doctrine including its revelation of all things and persons both physical and spiritual.
- The Triune Godhead existing in One Eternal, Transcendent, Omnipotent, Personal God, manifested in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- The beginning of the existing space-time universe, including all of its basic systems and organisms as revealed in the six literal days of the creation week, the fall of man and the Noahic flood. This we particularly stress as the historically factual account of origins, and the cause of the current condition of the physical earth as well as mankind upon it from creation to the present.
- The perfect, sinless humanity and absolute full deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, indissolubly united in one Divine/Human Person since His unique incarnation by miraculous virgin conception and birth.
- The substitutionary and redemptive sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ for the sin of the world, through His literal physical death, burial, and bodily resurrection followed by His bodily ascension into Heaven.
- Personal salvation from the eternal penalty of sin, provided exclusively by the grace of God on the basis of the atoning death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, to be received only through confession of, and individual faith in, His Person and redemptive work on the cross. The result being conversion from a life of sin to a life characterized by the empowering grace of the Holy Spirit, giving evidence in loving service and adherence to the principles and practices of the Christian Faith as set forth in the Holy Scriptures.
- The future personal, bodily return of the Lord Jesus Christ to the earth to judge and establish His eternal kingdom and to consummate and fulfill all His purposes, the works of creation, and redemption, with eternal reward for believers and eternal punishment for the unsaved.
Statement of Practice:
The American Academy of Biblical counselors is committed to maintain the following standards and principles:
- The Biblical counselor’s counseling theory and practice are shaped by principles found in Scripture.
- The Biblical counselor will not integrate humanistic methodologies of counseling with biblical concepts.
- Certification by AABC is conditional upon continued membership in good standing in a church subscribing to the doctrines contained in the AABC Statement of Faith.
- The Biblical counselor performs his or her service as part of the ministry of a local Christian church or faith organization that bears the endorsement of his church, but need not be a licensed or ordained member of the clergy.
- The Biblical counselor does not claim to have qualifications, affiliations and licensures he or she does not possess.
- The Biblical counselor acknowledges the need in some instances to recommend a counselee contact a physician for a medical evaluation to determine whether the counselee’s problem may have an organic etiology.
- The Biblical counselor urges the counselee to maintain membership and faithfully serve Jesus Christ in a local church.
- The Biblical counselor is committed to the study of Scripture and its application to enhance his or her spiritual growth and promote godly living and character.
- The Biblical counselor will protect the integrity of information given by counselees, and will never use such information for personal gain.
- The Biblical counselor will participate in scheduled continuing education and training by attending seminars sponsored or endorsed by AABC.